Lean Pulled Pork from a Rice Cooker.
Pulled pork is one of my all time favorite foods. Whenever I visit any bbq joint, with no hesitation I order pulled pork. The problem with pulled pork however is that it’s quite high in fat and calories. Once a while it’s ok if I eat a meal like this but even though it is to die for, I would feel bad eating fatty pulled pork on a regular basis. Fortunately I don’t have to feel bad eating my homemade pulled pork. I used trimmed pork loin roast instead of pork shoulder which is a traditional cut used for pulled pork. Fye 3 oz of pork loin have about 180 kcal and 12 g of fat while 3 oz of pork shoulder have about 230 kcal and 18 g of fat. Perhaps it doesn’t seem like a lot but every gram of fat matters when being on a diet or simply like me, trying to eat healthy.
Also a bonus for those of you who do not own a slow cooker (I do not have one). Rice cooker works just fine, just make sure when buying pork that it’s not too large and it will fit inside the cooker. I own a 6 cup rice cooker and 3-3.5 pound pork loin was just about the right size.
(makes 9-10 portions; portion size: 5 oz)
3-3.5 pound boneless pork loin roast
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth + more to add by the end of cooking
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 tablespoon granulated garlic
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 roughly chopped onion
- Trim off any excess fat from the pork loin. Rub it all over with paprika, smoke paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and garlic.
- Place in the rice cooker and add broth to cover about 3/4th of the pork.
- Add chopped onions, worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke.
- Cover with lid, turn on the heat and let simmer about 4-5 hours or until easily breaks with fork.
- After about 3rd hour keep checking the liquid, if it evaporates keep adding more broth.
- If you have a meat thermometer check the temperature of the pork, it should be about 195 degrees F. That;s when it starts falling apart.
- Shred with 2 forks and top with your favorite bbq sauce.